Adult Race Rules
- No nippy dogs. NO LOOSE DOGS.
- No metal edged skis.
- Necklines recommended for 2-dog teams.
- TO PASS: yell trail with plenty of time, go by on the same side as your dog/dogs, watch ski poles, ski hard to pull away.
- BEING PASSED: Reel in your dog/dogs and stay on the same side of the trail as your dog/dogs. You may stop but you don’t need to. Let the “passer” pull away before you chase. Do not “leap frog” more than once.
- Watch for moose, other wildlife and trail users.
Junior Race Rules
Juniors are skijor participants 8-15 years of age, and must be accompanied to a race or other event by a parent or guardian. Juniors may race with up to 2 dogs.
A junior must be signed off by an ASPA board member. The following skills must be observed, with the number of dogs the junior will race with:
- Stop and hold
- Get up and start after a fall
- Pass and be passed following trail etiquette rules
- Ski well enough so you will not be a hazard to yourself or others. Juniors must ski 1/4 mile by themselves.
Minor skijorers 16 and older do not need to be signed off or accompanied by a parent but must have prior parental approval in writing.
Exceptions to these rules for minors may be made on a case by case basis only with approval by the ASPA board.